We've made the incredibly hard decision not to keep Ginger. We found out that both Dachshunds of all ages (even the mini kinds) and Bassets under a year are predisposed to back problems, and shouldn't be allowed to use stairs. We're in the top of a Duplex, and we're basically not going to be able to stop her using the stairs when we take her out in the long run - we can carry her for now, but she's still growing.
They're going to come on Saturday morning to pick her up. If it had been anything other than her wellbeing, I'd have wanted to work past it, but we really don't have a choice.